The European Capital of Innovation Award (iCapital) will be launched in late February 2018. Cities will have until June to complete and submit their application. Key information, including the Rules of Contest, will be published in the coming weeks.
You can follow iCapital on Twitter, using the hashtag #iCapitalAwards. The iCapital Team will also attend numerous events in the upcoming months. Pass by the infodesk or send an email to discover how to get involved in the contest.
About the competition:
The contest was open to cities:
- With over 100 000 inhabitants (in countries where there is no city with more than 100 000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply);
- From an EU Member State or a country associated to Horizon 2020, the EU's research and innovation programme.
Applicant cities will be judged on the innovative solutions to their relevant societal challenges, which they started after 1st January 2017. Cities will in particular have to prove how they created the local conditions to innovate, by:
- Experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- Expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices
Applications will be judged by a panel of independent and highly-qualified experts from across Europe, appointed under Horizon 2020 rules.
Three cities will be awarded a prize. The winner of the first prize – the European Capital of Innovation 2018 – will receive €1 000 000. Two runners-up cities will receive €100 000 each.
In 2017, 32 cities applied for the iCapital Award, of which 10 were shortlisted as candidates. Read more about the past editions of the prize, here: http://bit.ly/2DQ7777
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement N°691895
Greater London Authority
+32 2 552 08 95